Sunday, November 27, 2016

Grateful Thanksgiving


We had a great meal on Thursday afternoon to celebrate with our friends and colleagues, the Currie family and Americans around the world as President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed in 1863:

"I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens...with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience..."

We thanked God for food and good health, and reviewed the history of this American holiday.

A little further back in the history of the people of God, He said to Israel, who like the rest of humanity was prone to wander away from Him and forget his many benefits:

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)

No comments: