Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Running with Gratefulness

I took a run today, about 2 miles.  Those who know me know this is something to write home about.  Though I've always loved basketball, I've never enjoyed running for sport.

So I was lamenting lately that I don't like running, but its 'fun when you're done'.  That's an adage I picked up from a more avid exerciser family member.  Again today I was lamenting again as I ran how little I enjoy it, but was glad when I hit my goal.

As I was stretching and showering before work, and I remembered a man's leg we prayed for last week.  His wife attends one of our churches and asked if we would come pray for his leg which was broken almost a year ago.

We walked into his home and he was propped up in bed.  He showed us his x-rays.  He took the bed-covers off his legs and showed how his knee had zero flexibility.  So there he has sat for 11 months since falling on last October's snow on the hill behind his house.

Only about 60, his life quality and expectancy is not too bright if he can't get moving again.  For that he needs a healed leg and healthy knee.  We prayed and he with his wife expects he will one day get out of bed from this broken leg, still pictured in my head.

This was the vision I had when getting out of the shower today.  I can be grateful that I have two healthy legs to run on, even if running is not my favorite form of exercise.

That thought hit me hard enough to consider sharing it here, which I'm amazed I remembered to do.  Here's hoping this thought of thankfulness might help you too.

Makes me think of this scripture from Hebrews 12:1...

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us," 


No comments: